Tomato Relish Is Good For You
Another classic, one of the reason why Pane e Latte’s PRT is a staple. Grab a couple of kilos of cooking tomatoes, some apple cider vinegar, a couple of onions, a bit of garlic and that’s it. Ah, don’t forget the sugar. Let the slow heat do the rest. Use it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack..it’s such a versatile recipe!
- 2kg ripe cooking tomatoes, diced
- 200g brown onion, thinly sliced
- 100g apple cider vinegar
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 120g caster sugar
- A.R. Extra virgin olive oil
- A.R. Cooking salt
- Sprinkle salt over the tomatoes and leave them overnight
- The next morning, pour off the liquid.
- Sweat the onions with enough olive oil to cover the base of a casserole, add a pinch of salt and cover.
- Once onion is soft, add the remaining ingredients, mix them well and bring it to boil.
- Reduce until desired consistency is achieved (please note that once your relish will cook down, will become even thicker).
- This recipe also works with other types of oil like canola or extra virgin olive oil (although extra virgin olive oil has is our favourite).
- Lemon juice can be used instead of the apple cider vinegar.
- This is a base recipe, feel free to go crazy with your favourite spices.